SAIC, Lantra, and Women in Scottish Aquaculture (WiSA) have joined forces to create a campaign that highlights the varied and rewarding careers offered by Scotland’s aquaculture sector.
Information source: Scottish Aquaculture Innovation Centre press release
In the recent run-up to the launch event, there were seven short films produced to showcase young people in aquaculture, their careers, and aspirations, and the advice they would give to school leavers and undergraduates who might be considering entering the sector.
The videos can be viewed following the links below:
- Kurk Jones, Farm Manager, Mowi
- Ivana Russo, Assistant Formulator, BioMar
- Andrew Richardson, Erasmus Mundus ACES Masters Student, SAMS-UHI
- Valentina Romano, Assistant Farm Manager, Dawnfresh
- Janis Brivkalns, Marine Operative, Scottish Salmon Company
- Darren Fleming, Maintenance Supervisor, BioMar
- Marie Smedley, Senior Breeding Programme Manager, Xelect Ltd
Future plans for the campaign include taking the films to the Northern and Western Isles of Scotland on a high school road trip, and also to provide high schools and colleges in relevant areas with a ‘New Wave of Talent’ kit for careers advisors and pupils to use.
In the meantime, have a look at the Lantra Scotland website for further information on relevant job roles and courses, or check out the WiSA website for news and events. And don’t forget that SAIC runs some fantastic skills and training courses, as well as sponsoring MSc and PhD places – find out more here!