– The event “Meet the Scientific Committee-ISGA XIV” will take place next Monday, May 30th.
– The application process for students’ fellowships will be also announced
A virtual event to meet the Scientific Committee of the XIV International Symposium on Genetics in Aquaculture, ISGA 2022, will be held next Monday, May 30th at 9:00 UTC-4. Dr. José Manuel Yáñez will be the chair of this meeting.
The event´s purpose is to offer attendees the opportunity to interact with the members of the Scientific Committee of the Symposium, who will introduce themselves and their respective research areas, and some of the most relevant advances in genetics and genomics applied to the production of aquaculture species.
At the event, Dr. Shogo Tsuruta will present the talk entitled “Efficient genetic progress for quantitative traits through genomic selection”. Dr. Tsuruta (University of Georgia, USA), is a specialist in animal quantitative genetics, and integrate phenotypic data, genealogical and genomic information to select superior genotypes in species such as dairy cattle, cattle, pigs, poultry, fish and bees, improving their production, reproduction and health.
The meeting will continue with a brief presentation by each member of the Committee, to conclude with a round table discussion and open to questions, where the attendees will be able to dialogue with all the researchers.
The ISGA XIV Scientific Committee is integrated by:
- Dr. Elizabeth Boulding, Professor in the Department of Integrative Biology, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada;
- Dr. Supawadee Poompuang, Professor in the Department of Aquaculture, Faculty of Fisheries, Kasetsart Chatuchak University, Bangkok, Thailand;
- Dr. Dean Jerry, Professor of Aquaculture at James Cook University and Director of the ARC Research Center for Advancing Tropical Aquaculture through Genetic Solutions and the Tropical Futures Institute, James Cook University, Queensland, Australia;
- Dr. Diogo Teruo Hashimoto, researcher at the Aquaculture Center of the State University of Sao Paulo, Brazil;
- Dr. Peng Xu, Professor, School of Earth and Ocean Sciences, Xiamen University, Xiang’an District, China;
- Dr. Paulino Martínez, professor and researcher at the Department of Genetics at University of Santiago de Compostela, Lugo, Spain;
- Dr. Delphine Lallias, researcher at National Institute for Agrifood and Environmental Research (INRAE) in Paris, France, and current coordinator of the EPICOOL project, supported by the European Fund for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs;
- and Dr. Anna Wargelius, from the Reproduction and Development Research Group of the Norwegian Institute of Marine Research (IMR) in Bergen, Norway, whose main area of work is genome editing in Atlantic salmon, with a focus on reproductive mechanisms.
FELLOWSHIPS FOR STUDENTS
The Scientific Committee of the XIV International Symposium on Genetics in Aquaculture (ISGA 2022) -which will take place in Puerto Varas, Chile, between November 27th and December 2th– will offer a total of ten fellowships for students who send an abstract to the conference, either for oral or poster presentation.
The students interested in applying for the fellowships must complete a form with their background, including the following items: Summary title, student name, institution, country, accredited study program through a letter from their advisor, and a letter of motivation to participate in the symposium (text of 300 words maximum).
Once the requirements have been completed, they must be sent to the email address email@example.com. The deadline for submitting proposals is June 30th.
The results will be notified by e-mail no later than July 30th. In addition to the registration fee and for those selected, the fellowships will also cover 5 days of accommodation in a hotel assigned by the Organizing Committee.
ISGA 2022 is organized by Universidad de Chile and the Technological Institute of Salmon Research (INTESAL), in collaboration with Universidad Austral de Chile, Universidad de Los Lagos and Universidad Andrés Bello, and sponsored by companies including Benchmark Genetics, Hendrix Genetics, Aquagen, IMV Technology, Center for Aquaculture Technologies, Arquimed – Ilumina and LGC Group.
For more information about the meeting, registration, fellowships, sponsorship categories and other information, visit the official page of the symposium: http://www.isga.uchile.cl.